Eyre’s ‘horseshoe lake’ would bar northern progress for another 17 years, frustrating the attempts of the young colony to expand its horizons much beyond the head of Spencer Gulf. The horseshoe myth was challenged in the late 1850s when Acting Deputy Surveyor-General George Goyder reached Lake Torrens and found it surrounded by vegetation. In 1858 Babbage, Warburton and Gregory proved that the ‘horseshoe Lake Torrens’ in fact comprised many separate lakes. This is Frome’s map of his 1843 expedition.
As Surveyor-General, Frome attempted to find the southern boundary of the eastern section of the ‘horseshoe Lake Torrens’. He was unable to find this boundary on his expedition to the eastern side of the Flinders. This expedition went via Mt Bryan, Black Rock and Orrorroo, then east crossing the Siccus River, Chambers Creek and Wearing Gorge before turning west to re-enter the Flinders Ranges at Prism Hill near Moro Gorge on the Balcanoona-Junta Rd.
Frome’s watercolour of Prism Hill:
James Henderson was a member of Frome’s 1843 Expedition to Lake Frome and he kept a journal and a sketchbook of 42 drawings. A book of Henderson’s and Frome’s watercolours and sketches has been published.